Friday, October 16, 2009

For Your Approval

Submitted by The Frumious Bandersnatch


Haven't we all seen the movie where the unlikable sister-in-law or brother-in-law sits at the family table saying evil things and everyone loathes them? I've actually been at one of those events and I hope that my husband and I will never be the hated one. But what would it be like if your family doesn't like your significant other?

I was fortunate enough that the first time my brothers met my husband they got along famously. I had been so nervous to introduce my boyfriend after years of my brothers asking if I was dating anyone they could beat up. (Lovely weren't they?) I got lucky because my family likes him, but what would I have done if they didn't?

But, my sister has brought home some men that put my family on edge. In fact, I quit speaking to the last guy she dated because he said an unbelievably rude comment to me shortly after I had my first baby. (I was hormonal and sensitive and I will never forgive or forget his stupidity.) Sis claims that she doesn't need or care if our family approves of her boyfriend, but would she really marry someone that the family doesn't like? The last couple of guys just didn't seem to mesh with the way that our family interacts.

We all get along as a family, sure we yell, but we also have a lot of fun when we get together. Wouldn't you assume that what our family deems 'likable' traits would be the same things that my sister looks for in a guy? She was raised with us and has the same values and background as the rest of the family. So if he can't get along with us, wouldn't that be a clue that the long term compatibility with my sister probably isn't there?

I'm not saying if our family doesn't love him immediately or worship the ground he walks on that she should dump whomever she's dating. But shouldn't she at least value our opinions a little?

I'm just sayin' . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now remember, people are baring their very souls here. Please be kind. And for Pete's sake, keep it clean.