Monday, October 19, 2009

I Remember - He Was The Cute One!

Submitted by Musically Challenged

I work at a world renowned school of music. Which is really funny because I don't know the first thing about any kind of music. I'm not a music person. Never have been. And in this job in particular I am a fish out of water because the curriculum is classical music. I know even less about that than I do about any other type of music, and that's really saying something. Fortunately, my job doesn't really require much musical knowledge. But sometimes my lack of musical understanding is obvious. Glaringly obvious.

Like a couple years ago when our school awarded Sir Paul McCartney an honorary doctorate of music. Everyone was buzzing in my office. Sir Paul McCartney was coming! Sir Paul McCartney was coming! Could I believe it? Actually, I couldn't. This was one time when I actually knew who they were talking about.

That night when I got home from work, I walked into my living room and told my husband who had been on campus that day.

"Wow! Paul McCartney, huh?" he said.

"Yeah, I know," I said back. And then I added, "He's that Monkeys guy, right?"

There was dead silence in the room.

"No, he's that Beatles guy, dear," said my husband. And then he added, "Please don't ever tell anyone that you said that. Okay?"

I swear, some days I don't know how I get through the work day at all.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo for having the guts to confess your musical sins/ ; )

    What we are expected to know as common knowledge is getting more rediculous by the day. My sister yelled at me because I had not heard about Kanye West's big ordeal a few weeks ago.

    What does it matter if I don't have time to stay on the cutting edge of show biz? Apparently we become pariahs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That's funny (and I am laughing with you, not at you!) Why are we expected to know stuff just because the majority does? Why be a sheep, I say!

    ReplyDelete

Now remember, people are baring their very souls here. Please be kind. And for Pete's sake, keep it clean.