Thursday, September 17, 2009

If It's YOUR Big Day, Why Does It Look Like Everyone Else's?

Submitted by Kgirl

Has anybody else noticed the lack of variety in wedding dresses? This is beginning to really bug me. Have you checked out your local paper to look at wedding announcements or attended a wedding in the last five years? Absolutely every last bride has the same gown on, give or take a few minor details. Each and everyone of them has on a strapless gown. Now, you ask me why do you care? It's really none of your business anyway. I know, I know, but that is why I am writing this on the Unbloggable, to unload this opinion. Before you tell me to get a life, here's my beef about it:

Whatever happened to individuality? Whatever happened to finding that one perfect dress that wasn't being worn by every other bride in town? Somehow, all of that is gone because every bride regardless of size, shape, personality, lifestyle and budget is somehow magically drawn to that strapless gown. I know that wedding dress styles go through stages and dresses can be defined by the decade they were worn in, but dear people this fad has gone on for some time now and I am wondering if it will ever change. Someone start something new. Start the new trend.
Recent brides, what am I missing? And to those yet to pick out that once in a lifetime dress, I would love to see something different, something unique to your personality and tastes. And, if it is the strapless style you just have to have, and I am at your big event. Well, rest assured, I'll smile and tell you, "Oh my, what a beautiful dress."

7 comments:

  1. strapless is the most flattering. try on a tank top and then try on a tube top....i guarantee your arms will look thinner with the tube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was married in 2005 and I'm proud to say I wore a dress with 1-2 inch thick straps.

    Why the heck would I want to worry about my dress slipping down while I did the chicken dance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I have to wonder - don't the winter brides get cold?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just wondering when the big puffy sleeves that were bigger than my head going to return like I had on my 1995 dress? Ugh! I look at that and wished I would have worn mine strapless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed all the dresses look the same - there isn't enough variety (Say Yes to the Dress is the best example of this)

    And strapless dresses are not the most flattering. Only a few thin and busty women look really good in a strapless dress. The rest could do with a little more. For example: The roll of fat hanging over the top top of the dress or the arm flap that can be seen dancing to a different beat than the bride, or the flat chested bride who the second she leans forward you can see almost down to her navel.

    A much more flattering look is the simple 3/4 length sleeve (no puffs allowed). It's lovely and elegant and you don't have to worry about things falling out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3/4 length sleeves?? this is not 1985, and they are not that easy to come by. most wedding dresses show arm wether you're fat or thin and trust me, strapless is still more flattering than straps. things hang out of straps too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whats so bad about short sleeves? Not as easily dated as 3/4 (although I do like the clean look of simple longer sleeves) and certainly more modest. Also no worries of falling out of your dress or being floppy in the arms.

    ReplyDelete

Now remember, people are baring their very souls here. Please be kind. And for Pete's sake, keep it clean.